In November, we shared a recipe to make tingly popcorns featuring our Green Sichuan Pepper Oil. We invited back Double Cooked to up our popcorn game yet again, featuring our Red Sichuan Pepper Oil with the one and only chili crisp, Lao Gan Ma.
Brian David Gilbert created this amazing Pepcorn recipe, and this is our own humble take on it. The concept is simple: How to get Lao Gan Ma onto popcorn? The key is to dry out Lao Gan Ma and turn it into a salt powder. While the full process takes a day or two, the results yield a bounty of Lao Gan Ma Salt, allowing you to make this savory popcorn at a moment’s notice. Plus, feel free to experiment and use it for other uses, like seasoning a burger, or dressing the rim of your margarita!
To make the Pepcorn even more delicious, the intense, dark, fruity flavor from Red Sichuan Pepper Oil adds so much to the mix. When the flavors of savory fermented beans, spicy chili peppers, and tingling Sichuan pepper oil combine, it’s a natural match. And now you can have that amazing flavor combo on popcorn...or anything!
For the Lao Gan Ma Pepcorn Salt
Active Time: 10-20 Minutes
Total Time: 1-2 Days
Yields: ¼ Cup of Lao Gan Ma Salt (Good for about 8-10 batches of Popcorn)
- Paper Towels
- Mortar and Pestle
- Parchment paper
- Sheet Tray/Sizzle Platter
- 2 T - Lao Gan Ma
- 4 T - Kosher Salt
- Place the Lao Gan Ma into the paper towel over the bowl. Filter out as much oil as you can from the Lao Gan Ma by squeezing it out over the bowl. Reserve the oil.
- Add the “dried” Lao Gan Ma to the mortar. Start with 2 Tablespoons of salt and grind the mixture into a fine powder.
- If the mixture still seems too oily and the salt does not grind into smaller pieces, add more salt and continue grinding.
- Once the mixture is ground into fine particles, transfer to a tray lined with parchment paper and flatten out the Salt Mixture.
- Bring your oven up to 200 F, then turn it off. Leave in the oven to dry for 24 hours, or until the salt is dry and easily crumbles into a powder.
- Store in a dry, airtight container.
For the Mala PepcornTime: 3-4 Minutes
Serves: 2-3 People
- Aluminum Foil
- Metal Bowl
- ¼ Cup - Popcorn Kernels
- 2 T - Chili Oil
- 2 T - Neutral Oil
- 2 t - Pepcorn Salt
- 2 t - Red Chili Powder
- 2 t - 50 Hertz Red Sichuan Peppercorn Oil
- Add kernels, chili oil, and neutral oil to the wok.
- Cover with foil to make a lid, poke holes in it.
- Bring the wok to heat to medium-high. Once the popping starts, lower heat to medium and vigorously shake the pan until the popping slows down.
- Once the popping slows, turn off the heat, and keep shaking for another 5 seconds, or until the popping completely stops
- Remove the foil from the wok, transfer to a mixing bowl, and season with popcorn salt, red chili powder, and 50Hz Red Sichuan Peppercorn Oil.
For more recipes, cooking tips, and tricks, check out Double Cooked on YouTube.
There are no comments yet. Be the first one to post a comment on this article!