Dumplings are the ultimate comfort food in many cultures. I will use ready-made wrappers instead of making from scratch. Dumplings are so easy to make, and it's a fun activity to gather a group of family and friends. If you can't eat them all, put them in the freezer and whip up a snack in 15 mins. This recipe makes roughly 30 dumplings.
For the filling:
- 1 pack of dumpling wrappers
- 1lb ground meat of your choice (pork, chicken, turkey, beef)
- 4 cups Asian garlic chive (韭菜) or dill
- 1 inch of ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup of Shaoxing wine
- 1/4 cup of light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp red Sichuan pepper oil
- 2 tsp white peppercorns
For the soup base:
- 4 cups green veggies (bok choy, snow pea shoots, water spinach, etc.)
- 1 tbsp chili oil or Lao Gan Ma
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp black vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 tsp green Sichuan pepper oil (drizzle at the end for its aroma)
Prepare the filling:
- Place the ground meat, chives, ginger, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil, and 50Hertz Red Sichuan Pepper Oil in a big mixing bowl. SX wine and SP oil help refine the flavors of the meat.
- Use your hands to mix the ingredients thoroughly. Our filling is done!
Prepare the dumplings:
- Prepare a small bowl of warm water (used to wet the edge of the wrappers).
- Take one dumpling wrapper and place a teaspoon of the filling in the center of a wrapper. It's key to not overfill for a strong seal, and to prevent the dumpling from opening while boiling.
- Dip your finger in the bowl of warm water and use that to wet the edge of the wrapper. Then fold the filled wrapper and start making crimps to seal the dumpling as pictured.
Make Sichuan base soup and boil dumplings:
- Boil a pot of water and make ginger garlic sauce: put the minced garlic and ginger in a bowl and pour in 1/2 cup of boiling water.
- Grab your favorite soup bowl; put in soy sauce, vinegar, chili oil, sesame oil and all the ginger garlic sauce. Stir and mix them well.
- Put the green vegetables in the boiling water. Once soft, strain them. Add to the bowl with your soup base. Bring the pot of water back to a boil.
- Use the same water and boil the dumplings for roughly 4-5 mins. One sign that they are ready is when they float to surface. If the wrapper is semi-translucent and you can see the filling, you know it will be tasty!
- Use a skimmer to fish out the dumplings and put into bowl. Drizzle 50Hertz Green Sichuan Pepper Oil on top and stir well.
Thank you for this recipe! I can’t wait to try it out. Might make Monday better!
Thank you for sharing this recipe, a novice Asian cook.
Thanks for the recipe! Please keep them coming!